Monday, July 2, 2018

Ten Orchid Species in Mount Robson Provincial Park


Calypso bulbosa var. americana

We backpacked in Mount Robson Provincial Park In British Columbia recently.  We went both for the scenery and the native orchids and were well satisfied with what we saw of both.  On the 23km hike to our campsite we found ten different orchids in bloom and saw several more that were not yet in bloom, a total of twelve, ten of which are featured in this post.  I posted them in the order we saw them, though we saw several species at different places along the trail.

Corallorhiza maculata var. maculata


Neottia borealis


Neottia cordata var. cordata


Neottia cordata var. cordata fma. viridens
 

Platanthera obtusata


Cypripedium parviflorum var. parviflorum
 



Galearis rotundifolia


Cypripedium passerinum


Galearis rotundifolia fma. lineata


Platanthera aquilonis


Corallorhiza trifida



Calypso bulbosa var. americana


Mount Robson and Berg Lake

2 comments:

Slavek said...

Hello Ron!

First of all, thank you for your wonderful blog! It is a great pleasure to read your articles and see great photos of native orchids from U.S.

I am planning to take aprox. two weeks in Washington starting June 12/13 before I fly to Boston to attend a conference. I was able to see some of the east and west coast in 2017 thanks to my half-year stay as a visiting scholar at the University at Buffalo. I saw lots of wonderful places U.S. has to offer! Sadly, I did not have any information regarding native orchids – so I found only few along my hikes (except some orchids near Buffalo thanks to NSSWNY). I am hoping for your response to prevent this this year. Sadly, there is not much time left…

I would like to ask you about some information and tips about orchids in Washington state and surrounding area. Thanks to your blogs I think you are most likely the right person to ask.

My email addresses are machamil@faf.cuni.cz (and slavekmm@gmail.com if you prefer). Thank you for your response!

Kind wishes,
Miloslav “Slavek” Machacek from Czech Republic

Ron said...

Thanks for the comments, Slavek. I've replied by email.